Last post, I tried to gain access to my Traditional Chinese TP-LINK WR702N. This post, I bring more good news, as I managed to successfully flash it with English firmware!
When I asked a friend with the same router (@JonasGeuens) if he already succeeded to flash the device with English firmware, he managed to point me in the right direction.
All credit goes to the guys on the openwrt forum: lofranks, jvvh5897, Ccowap and all others who worked on the solution and motojapi for writing down an easy to follow step by step guide to how to do this yourself. A link to the original discussion can be found at the bottom of this article.
1. Download the “fixed” English hardware fromhttp://www.mediafire.com/download/za7z3b2793aik82/wr702nv1-en-up.bin
2. Download suitable tftp server. I used the 64-bit version of tftpd fromhttp://tftpd32.jounin.net/
3. Temporarily turn off your firewall if you are using ZoneAlarm (don’t know about other firewalls). If you don’t do this you will get 1800X error from the WT702n 🙂
4. Turn off wireless on your computer and connect with cable to the WR702n. After a while you should be setup with IP address 192.168.1.100 and 255.255.255.0 netmask. If not you can setup these manually.
5. Start tftp server and set the base directory to be where the .bin-file downloaded in step 1 is. In tftpd you do this by clicking settings, then selecting TFTP-tab and browsing to the directory.
6. Point your web browser to 192.168.1.253, you get a login screen, type admin and hit enter
7. On the menu on the left side of the screen click on “系統工具” (System tool), then select “韌體升級” (Firmware Upgrade)
8. On the next screen you will have place for filename and tftp server address. Set filename to wr702nv1-en-up.bin (which you downloaded in step 1) and address to 192.168.1.100 (which is the IP address assigned to your computer).
9. Below these are two boxes, click the one on the left (don’t have the Chinese characters as I’ve changed to English by now), then click OK.
10. There will be a counter as the file is loaded, you will also see progress in the tftpd main screen. If there is an error you will get a Chinese warning page with error code like 18000, 18001, 18005 etc. If you get this Google translator is your friend. On mine I got error code 18005 when trying to upgrade to incompatible English hardware and error 18000 before I stopped ZoneAlarm.
11. Wait until the device reboots, then just to be safe another few minutes. If nothing happens I would play it safe and wait at least 15 minutes before trying a manual reboot.
12. Now the 702n IP address has changed, your computer should automatically get a new address is the 192.168.0.xxx range.
13. Turn on your firewall and point your browser to 192.168.0.254, you will get login screen, both username and password are admin.
Don’t forget to set the filename in step 8 (I made this error the first time) and enjoy your brand spankin’ new software!
To connect to the flashed router (step 12), I had to set my ip address manually (as described in my last post) to 192.168.0.1 & subnet mask 255.255.255.0 before connecting to 192.168.0.254 via the browser.
For your convenience I added some screenshots below:
Feel free to leave a comment or to add me on Twitter @RW_Spaf